Tuesday, November 1, 2011

half marathon

I have tried to write this post for the last 2 weeks and the words are just not  coming the way I want them to.. I have deleted this post three times now.

Well I have come up with a new approach. I am writing about what I was feeling the day before my half and also durning the half.  I feel I have learnt alot about myself in those 48 hours.

The day before my second half I was very nervous..My mind was racing. I was worried that I had not trained enough. I didn't train as hard or as often as I did for my first.  The one key difference is that I had added strength training into my workouts 3 times a week.  I had notice my running overall had improved. My mind was telling me what they hell are you doing!!!  I know with my first I was not nervous what so ever!! I was going on adraline!  This time around I knew what to expect so I know fear was getting to me and my mind telling me I was so dumb for doing this!!lol


Race day..it was a later start which I really enjoyed..I was ready to go!  Running the first three km, my Garmin didn't want to cooperate with me so I was focused on that and not the whole running bit!!!
I know, I shouldn't be trying to get that fixed and also trying to focus on my running, but honestly I can't survive without it!!!

The 3km mark and everything was in place!  I was thinking to myself slow and steady you know what you need to do! I started to enjoy the views! It was great to be able to run thru my hometown and pass places that I used to go to when I was little!!!  It brought back alot of memories! 

3km turned into 5km and I started to feel as if I was shedding my skin. Shedding my old self and emerging as my new self!  This is hard to explain but I never thought 2 years ago I would be able to run two halfs in one year!  I started to feel lighter and my pace was better!  My feet were moving and the time was going quickly!  I remember how I felt at the same mark in my half marathon and how much weaker I felt! I was pretty impressed with myself at how strong I felt. I kept pushing!

I really hate km 7-10 for me it is the hardest part of the whole run! I find that it takes me awhile to settle into my grove! I am always looking at the time, and my ipod never sits just right!  These kms were a killer a steady long road with a slow incline!! BRUTAL!!! I got to the end of the road and thought to myself my house is 2km to the right of me do I bail now???

The answer was no and at that moment everything came into play....the music was good, a little rain, and my parents came with my G2!!  Excellent!! I have always said running is about having fun!!  For me this is exactly what happen!!  I had poured my G2 into my water packs and I had this empty bottle which I carried for about 1km, I came upon a police offer and ran up to her and said  " Can I give you my bottle to throw out for me, as I don't want to get arrested"!!  She looked at me and a little stunned and started to laugh " don't worry just keep running"!  It was really funny while I was running!!

Around the 17km my right thigh started to give me alot of troubles!!  I mean to the point of not knowing if I would actually finish due to injury... My motivation what was it? My father in law!!!  He was an avid marathon runner with over 80 in his collection and has won too many to mention!!   I just kept that is my mind and kept going!!!.somehow and someway I started to reach the finish line! I am in shock at how my mind push thru the pain and I finished something that I started!!

I saw the finsih line and went for it!!  As I was nearing the clock I saw my amazing friend Dana who got me into all this mess and I yelled to her! I did in under 2:30!!  I couldn't believe it! I knew on my Garmin I had but somehow still doubted myself!!  I was actually very proud of myself I think for the first time in my life!! Yes can you believe it!! 

I knew I push myself as hard as I could as I was not able to walk for 2 days....ha ha.

You know what the greatest satisfaction of the whole race? When you cross the finsih line and recieve your medal!!  Amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment